Rosedale Abbey’s Christmas Tree was put up on the village green today, Sunday 4 December:
Rosedale Community News
Welcome to the Rosedale blog. This is where we share news and information about events in Rosedale and the wider community throughout the year. You’ll also find news about the village timetable, our micro enterprises, school events, clubs, and lively socials.
Archive for the ‘village’ Category
From Lorrie Westwood: the following donations have been made from the monies raised in the collection buckets over the weekend of the Jubilee period:
£100 to the church for use of the Turret field.
£100 to the Reading Room for meetings.
£100 to the cricket/football for their help.
£150 to the Community Fund.
Many thanks to everyone who made this great result possible.
A number of events around the dale are taking place to celebrate HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. Most of the events are in aid of the Save Rosedale Abbey Church Appeal and you can contribute directly during the week at the events or by BACS payment to Save Rosedale Abbey Church, account no 35397892, sort code 05-05-70 at Virgin Money.
Some images from the celebrations in the dale are below:
The excellent concert on 9 June in the church was a fitting finale to a very successful Platinum Jubilee week in Rosedale. Congratulations and thanks to all who organised the many events and to all the volunteers who helped run them so well. Many visitors commented on on the bright and friendly atmosphere in the village throughout the period and Rosedale can be proud of its tribute to HM The Queen and its efforts in raising much needed funds for the church’s restoration. The Church Treasurer is now drawing breath and will publish the financial results shortly. Remember, you can continue giving at any time to this vital effort, either in the boxes in the church itself or by BACS to Save Rosedale Abbey Church at Virgin Money account number 35397892, sort code 05-05-70
Afternote: the final amount for the church appeal raised after costs is a magnificent £4,530! Again, well done to all involved.
Saturday 4th June Rosedale Abbey Caravan Park
PIZZA & PROSECCO IN THE PARK – All Welcome
- 4pm till dusk on the Playpark
- Pizza Shed from Borrowby serving woodfired pizzas from 4pm onwards
- Prosecco Bar
- Heritage Beers & Wine Bar
- Picnic tables in the park
- Bring & Buy Cake Stall – proceeds to Charity
The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Timetable of Events
‘Royal’ Scarecrows displayed in gardens etc by the weekend of May 28th/29th – See posters around the area.
Bunting decorations around the village and outlying areas. Decorate your windows, gardens, fences.
Thursday 2nd June. Milk Street to be blocked off for safety whilst activities take place centred in the Turret Field.
- 2 pm Meet in the village Turret Field (in fancy dress if you want) with Union Jacks
- Sing the National Anthem
- Design a Crown activity
- Victoria sponge competition (Recipe from the Bero book made from two cakes). Entries by 2:30pm. Judged at 3pm.
- Face Painting
- Treasure Hunt
- Photo Booth style frame
- Teas and Cakes stall. Manned by the WI ladies, but donations of cakes very welcome.
- 9:45pm Beacon lit on Chimney Bank (Beacons lit all over the country). Watch from a vantage point – on the Rigg Road – by the cattle grid on Heygate Bank or wherever you can see. Celebrate!!!
Bells to be rung to herald the event.
Friday 3rd June
- 5pm Cricket Match on the Milburn field. Updale v village. Teams to be organised.
- BBQ at the Coach House afterwards plus music night.
Sunday 5th June 2pm on the Milburn field
- Picnic (Bring your own)
- Sports to start at 3pm
- Awards given out after the Tug of War
Art and Craft displays in the church throughout the Bank Holiday weekend. Please see their posters for details.
‘Where are you today’ Community Record Project. Leaflet handed out to all residents. Date for completion 20th May. PLEASE TRY TO DO THIS AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS SO WE HAVE A RECORD TO KEEP.
Great news – Father Christmas will be paying a second visit to Rosedale on Saturday 4 December!
All children in the dale are invited to an Xmas Party to meet him between 2.30 to 5pm at the Updale Reading Room. Please let Sam know the numbers and age of children from your family on 01751 417199 or 07786506222 as soon a possible.
- In view of the virulence of the pandemic and following Government advice, Rosedale PCC has voted to close the church for public worship for the time being. This includes opening the church for private prayer.
- Irrespective of how well we can assess and manage the risk in church, it seems entirely wrong to invite people to leave their homes to get to church when the Government’s advice is so strongly to Stay at Home.
Sadly but as expected the famous (or should that be infamous!) Christmas auction will not take place this year in the Coach House Inn. Instead there is now a draw where punters can ‘buy’ squares in the Abbey Stores and the Coach House Inn. Proceeds will go towards Rosedale Community School, the church, the Reading Room and Rosedale Football Club.
Details of prizes and the date of the draw will be notified as soon as known. Your support is, as ever, strongly requested